A head lice treatment used on thousands of children can ‘catch fire and cause serious burns’ if exposed to live flames, according to a regulatory body.
An urgent warning about the fire risk of Hedrin lotion has been issued by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Authority (MHRA), urging parents not to smoke around the solution.
They are asking pharmacists to pass on the warning to anybody buying the product over the counter.
It comes after at least 10 Brits suffered serious burns in the last decade while using head lice lotion.
Eight of those victims, both children and adults, were seriously burned after using Hedrin.
Two suffered burns while using rival brands Full Marks and Nyda, reports The Sun .
The majority of cases involved a head lice solution igniting after being exposed to a lit cigarette .
One case saw a woman’s hair catch fire after she came too close to a gas fire.
While the packaging on Hedrin does warn: “Keep hair away from source of ignition, especially naked flames and burning cigarettes” – the MHRA is calling for more to be done.