Terrifying horror for X Factor’s Scarlett Lee

Family members of X Factor ‘s Scarlett Lee are lucky to be alive after their home burned to the ground.

The hopeful’s brother Benjamin and his wife Sharon were in their mobile home with their four young children when it was engulfed in flames.

The singer’s sibling was forced to flee his home with his family by climbing through windows as a fire took hold.

He was later taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Scarlett, who is being mentored by Simon Cowell in the ITV contest, is believed to have been in her neighbouring caravan, near Epsom in Surrey, when tragedy struck at around 7.30am on Sunday.

She posted on Instagram after it happened, writing: “Please can everyone keep my family in their prayers. God knows the situation.”

Neighbours described the blaze as “terrifying” amid reports it was started by an electrical problem.

Six fire crews spent more then four hours fighting the fire.

A source told The Sun : “Scarlett has been terribly upset. It’s come as a real shock to both her and her family.

“It’s beyond devastating for everyone. They’re all so thankful that no one was seriously hurt but Scarlett’s brother Ben was taken to hospital after breathing in smoke.

“Scarlett’s taken time away from rehearsals this week to be with him and the rest of her loved ones who, according to fire crew, are all lucky to be alive.”

They added that the family had been left with “nothing”, and that all firefighters managed to rescue from the wreckage were a few photographs.

The tragic events come after Scarlett sailed through to the third week of live finals.

Janice Robinson and LMA Choir were both sent packing last weekend in a shocking double elimination.

This weekend’s theme is Fright Night, meaning contestants will take on spooky Halloween-themed songs.