Dad left with ear hanging off as he fights murderer in the street fleeing from crime

This is the terrifying moment a knife-wielding killer charged at a brave passer-by just seconds after he had murdered his ex-girlfriend.

Father Gerard Bristow was left with his “ear hanging off” after drugged-up knifeman Andrew Wadsworth, 37, stabbed at his head and chased him down the street.

This happened only moments after Wadsworth had stabbed his ex partner Melissa Belshaw to death in her upstairs bedroom,

the Liverpool Echo reports.

Mr Bristow was caught in the firing line next and alarming CCTV footage released earlier this week revealed how the cocaine-addled murderer pursued him along the street.

Footage shows Wadsworth viciously swiping at him with the blade as he desperately backed away.

Dressed in flip-flops and shorts, he was ill-prepared for such a terrifying and life-threatening confrontation.

Mr Bristow has now opened up about the shocking events he found himself caught up in last May.

And the dad described how he and another heroic passerby were bravely primed to go inside the Upholland Road house in Billinge after hearing terrible screams from inside, where the mum-of-one had just been fatally attacked.

Van driver Kevin Moores bravely smashed into the locked house with a hammer.

But within seconds, violent criminal Wadsworth came outside and set upon Mr Bristow, aiming savage blows at him with the knife.

Many were focused at the neighbour’s head, thankfully missing their target, but managing to slice the 46-year-old’s ear instead.

Mr Bristow told the Liverpool Echo


“I heard her [Melissa’s daughter] screaming saying ‘my mum’s been killed.’

“Me and this lad [Kevin Moores] were stood there, wondering what do we do next.

“He said, ‘do you wanna go in the house?

“I said, ‘yeah,’ and before we knew it, there was Andrew Wadsworth trying to climb out of the smashed porch window.”

Mr Bristow said: “We were stood behind the car.

“But because I was asking the questions, ‘is she okay in there?’ several times, he said ‘yeah, she’s fine… I’m just after the Scouser next door’.

And within seconds he made a beeline for me, and I actually think it was because I was the one asking all the questions.

“He was suddenly on top of me, he pulled a knife out of his trousers, down to his left hand and side, and that’s when he started coming at me with the knife.

“I believe he got my ear, going for my head obviously, but he managed to take part of my ear off, it was hanging on.

“Unfortunately I had flip flops on at the time, I wasn’t really prepared for this.”

Mr Moores raced over and kicked Wadsworth as he was on top of Mr Bristow as he pinned him down, which allowed the 46-year-old to stagger away.

He added: “It’s bizarre, I’d finished a conference call two minutes before so I wasn’t exactly prepared for anything, working from home, going down in my flip flops and my shorts.

“It was very much a strange situation.”


Wadsworth was jailed for life and ordered to serve a minimum of 32 years for the May 20 murder and the attempt to murder Mr Bristow.

He unsuccessfully tried to persuade a jury he should be convicted of manslaughter because of a sudden loss of control.