Novak Djokovic breaks silence from ‘detention centre’ as he waits for Australia visa decision

Novak Djokovic has broken his silence from a detention centre in Australia having been held since his arrival earlier this week in a row over his visa.

The Serbian touched down on Wednesday after telling his social media followers that he had received exemption proof that would allow him to get down to work in the state of Victoria.

Their rules say that people have to be jabbed in order to work, but there are exceptions with medical exemption – with Djokovic refusing to reveal his vaccine status.

Djokovic has since been held by officialsdue to an issue with paper work- with appeals being made by his team who hope he will still be able to feature in the tournament.

On Friday afternoon Djokovic spoke for the first time from his hotel, sending a message to those who are supporting him.

He said: “Thank you to the people around the world for your continuous support. I can feel it and it is greatly appreciated.”

Fans of the world No.1 have congregated outside his location in a bid to help him be released, despite warnings from health minister Greg Hunt.

Hunt has said that Djokovic failed to provide ‘appropriate standards of proof’ to enter the country and that he will likely be sent home.