Novak Djokovic ‘s place at the Australian Openlater this month has been thrust into further doubt after Border Force officials told him he will not be allowed to enter the country.
His visa has been rejected, and that he will be flown out of Melbourne on Thursday. The tennis star’s lawyers are set to appeal the decision.
Australian health minister Greg Hunt confirmed the news on Thursday morning local time, when he said the tennis ace would be sent home as he has failed to provide “appropriate standards of proof” to be allowed to enter the country.
After a long flight, the world’s best male tennis player was made to wait for several hours more before he could leave Melbourne Airport.
Officials had discovered an issue with the Serbian’s visa documents, which caused them to deny Djokovic immediate entry until the issue had been ironed out.
It was the latest in a long line of twists in the ongoing saga over whether or not he would be able to defend his Australian Open title, due to his decision not to reveal his vaccinations status.
More to follow…